Okay! This is hands down the best cake I have ever created… so far! I am so excited to share it with you today, as I have mentioned in previous posts I live for Autumn and all of the hearty comfort meals that come with the season. This cake is not only dense but moist and full of flavour that is perfectly complimented by a warm raisin whisky drizzle. I am beyond delighted with how this cake turned out and I am sure you will be delighted too.
I could go on and on about how great this cake is but I’d prefer for a moment to talk about Autumn and what the season brings to us. Autumn or more specifically the Autumn Equinox is the time when light and darkness have balanced letting us know that the darkness of winter is coming. It is a wonderful time to go within an work on ourselves; snuggle up, have a cup of tea with a slice of cake and journal about how the year went for you, in a few months this year will be coming to an end.
Autumn is also a time of celebration, ancient civilizations would gather and celebrate the bounty of their harvests that would nourish them and allow them to survive the harsh winter. Yes, most of us no longer have to worry about how we will make this through the winter but we certainly have reason to celebrate! We may not have been out harvesting produce but have been working hard in various different areas in our lives and should celebrate that.
For myself, I will be celebrating the hard work and completion of acting in my first Shakespeare play, Macbeth! So much work and time has been put in to learning lines, understanding what my character was saying, developing trusting relationships with fellow cast mates. For me opening night will be the beginning of my harvest and closing night will be a great reason to celebrate!
What have you accomplished this year? No matter how big or small there is always reason to celebrate your victories! Make merry with those you love, smell the smoke on the Autumn breeze, and for goodness sake reward yourself every now and then 😉
Autumn Pumpkin Bunt Cake with Raisin Whisky Drizzle
Prep Time: 15-20 mins Serves: 8
Bake Time: 50 minutes at 350
- 1 Cup Almond Sour Cream (Blend 1 Cup Ground Almonds with 3/4 Cup of Unsweetened Almond Milk, 1 tsp Lemon Juice, 1 tsp Rice Vinegar, and 1 tsp Sea Salt until smooth and develops the texture of sour cream)
- 2 Flax Eggs ( 1 tbsp Ground Flax Seed mixed with 3 tbsp of water per egg you wish to replace and allow to sit for five minutes)
- 1/3 Cup Grape Seed Oil
- 1 1/4 Cup Organic Cane Sugar
- 1 (15oz) Can of Pure Pumpkin Puree
- 2 Cups Flour
- 2 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/4 tsp All Spice
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cloves
- 1 tsp Himalaya Pink Salt or Sea Salt
- In the bowl of a mixer add Almond Sour Cream, Flax Eggs, Grape Seed Oil, Organic Cane Sugar, and Pumpkin Puree and mix until combined evenly.
- In a separate bowl combine Flour, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Cinnamon, Ground Ginger, All Spice, Nutmeg, Cloves, and Salt.
- Add dry mixture to wet mixture in mixer bowl and combined; stopping every now and then to scrape the side of the bowl.
- Pour batter into greased bunt cake pan and place in the oven at 350 for 50 minutes.
- Once baked remove from oven and place on cooling rack for ten minutes and then flip pan onto the cooling rack to release the cake from the pan and allow to cool completely.
- Drizzle with Raisin Whiskey Sauce and serve!
Raisin Whisky Sauce
Prep Time: 5-10 mins Makes: 1 Cup of Sauce
- 1 Cup Raisins
- 1/3 Cup Melted Vegan Butter (I use Earth Balance)
- 1/2 Cup Icing Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Dairy Free Milk
- 2-3 Tbsp Irish Whisky
- Add Raisins, Melted Vegan Butter, Icing Sugar, Dairy Free Milk, and Irish Whisky to a blender and blend until a smooth sauce forms, you will need to scrape down the side a few times.
- Put sauce into a piping bag and drizzle over the fully cooled Bunt Cake.