On my phone I have a folder for little articles and stories that I consider hidden gems, not wanting to lose these pieces of wisdom I have taken to saving them to re-read in the future. For years I have re-visited this piece written by Neil Legault from Unbelievable You which found me at a time in my life where I felt lost and desperately needing connection. Perhaps you need this in your life too!
50 Ways to Connect with Yourself and Life
1) Practice Kindness – With everyone and everything.
2) Exercise, sleep and listen to your body – Your body is your temple. Treat it well.
3) Simplify your life – Your time is precious. Spend it living your way.
4) Be Helpful – Offer someone your help for a day.
5) Do a Random Act of Kindness – Do a kind act out of the blue. Surprise someone.
6) Relax and Enjoy the simple things – When you are too busy, it’s hard to enjoy anything.
7) Do what you Love – Make the time for YOU and what you enjoy out of life.
8) Drop the useless stuff – Eliminate the non-essential stuff cluttering your life.
9) Focus on what matters – Remind yourself often about what’s most important in your life.
10) Have Fun – Don’t take life or yourself too seriously. It’s meant to be an enjoyable.
11) Reassess your priorities – Is what you’ve been focussing on a priority?
12) Compliment others – Tell someone about a quality you admire in them.
13) Compliment yourself – Remind yourself about the qualities you admire about you.
14) Treat yourself to a day off – Take a mini vacation from your routine. No guilt. Just enjoy!
15) Make a list of what you love doing – This helps you see more clearly into you.
16) Write down what you love about you – This list reminds you how special you are.
17) Get away from negative people – Some people drain all your energy. Be positive and say NO!
18) Have a day off from technology – It’s amazing how quiet you feel when it’s not there.
19) Be there for someone – Really be present and listen.
20) Have that awkward conversation you’ve been holding off – You’ll be happy it’s done with.
21) Find a personal mantra and live it – Find something that resonates with you and read it daily.
22) Show someone you really care – Caring for someone is caring for yourself at the same time.
23) Make space – Clean out your desk, closet, garage… You’ll feel better when it’s finally done.
24) Laugh as much as you can – Watch funny movies, going out with friends and have a silly time.
25) Stop trying to fit in – Your happiness and freedom is in being you! You’re wonderful already.
26) Spend some time alone doing just YOU things. – This grounds you and fosters Self-Love.
27) Go with the flow – Don’t decide. Let Life move you. If you are invited somewhere then go.
28) Meditate – Go for a clam peaceful walk, stop thinking and feel yourself being here.
29) Smile as much as you can – Try to be as genuine as you can.
30) Connect with Love – See if you can let the feeling of Love be present without an attachment.
31) Don’t take yourself too seriously – When we do, life gets heavy and grim. That’s the ego.
32) Forgive yourself – We’re all human and we make mistakes. Let the past go. Today is a new day.
33) Cut out what’s not working – Is it time to let go of someone or an activity and move on?
34) Do something unexpected – Try something new. You just might REALLY like it!
35) Listen to music – Listen to music that really inspires you and fosters joy. This works great!
36) Practice Self-Love – This is hard but the more you get to know YOU and become the genuine person inside, the easier it gets. Love emanates from the core of your being. It cannot be possessed or given away but the more it flows out of you in every direction the more you become it.
37) Get rid of Self criticism – We are our own worse critics. We put ourselves down way too often!
38) Let go of worry – Take a few steps and try to trust that Life will provide for you.
39) Trust yourself – Have confidence in you and your abilities.
40) Tell yourself the Truth – This is the foundation of respecting and loving yourself. It is also the cornerstone of your spiritual path.
41) Grow in Spirit – You grow in spirit when you become more peaceful, kind, loving and compassionate.
42) Appreciate yourself – Take the time to enjoy just being you.
43) Cultivate your dreams – Focus on what brings joy and bliss to you. Take a step into it every day.
44) Feng Shui Your Life – Make changes and surround yourself with things, people and activities that make you feel you.
45) Try to see the Beauty in all things – So much of life is hidden in front of you.
46) Have great Sex! – There is nothing like a deep, romantic, loving, passionate connection to make you feel really alive.
47) Spend time with your lover – Don’t speak, just touch or caress each other. Go for a long walk and be fully present with them.
48) Spend quality time with your pet – Pets like a dog or a cat are wonderful because they love you unconditionally most of the time. 🙂 That’s why so many people have them. It’s extremely therapeutic spending time petting an animal. It forces you to be present, it forces you to feel.
49) Spend quality time with your kids – Your complete attention is the greatest gift you can give them.
50) Spend quality time with yourself – The most important thing you can do 🙂 and the one we neglect often.
“To be able to look back upon one’s life in satisfaction is to live twice.” ~Kahlil Gibran