One of my favourite dishes as a vegetarian was a nice creamy risotto, and like many, before me, I was one of those people who said ” I’d go vegan, but I could never give up cheese, ” and with that, I believed I could never give up risotto. Giving up dairy initially felt like a major sacrifice but after learning more about the dairy industry, and the adverse effects dairy has on the human body it became easier.
I recall a year after going vegan I was at a Sunday brunch at a popular winery where I live, and I came across a massive plate of cheese. Smoked gouda…. one of my past favourites was calling to me, so after a year dairy free I figured what would one cheese cube hurt and I had love smoked gouda so much. So I took a small piece much to the surprise of my also vegan husband who asked if I was sure I wanted to break a year of solid veganism. I decided I just had to have that one little piece and I popped it into my mouth; the flavours startled me. The cheese that I had enjoyed for years tasted nothing like I remembered and had a more oily texture and to be honest really grossed me out.
That was my moment of confirmation, I no longer needed or wanted dairy. A funny thing happens when you go vegan, your taste buds change and natural flavours start to appear that are of such a beautiful quality it leaves you wondering how you’ve lived so long with a blind tongue. I always find it funny when I hear people refer to a vegan or plant based life style as bland when it is quite the opposite!
You don’t need to sacrifice your health or flavour to enjoy a beautiful risotto, this recipe has been a labour of love for me, and I have spend years trying to get it just right. I’m so excited to finally share it with you!
Creamy Vegan Mushroom Risotto
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook time: 22 mins
Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy Free
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 Small Onion Diced
- 2 Cups Chopped Mushrooms (mix a variety for a gourmet flair)
- 1 Large Garlic Clove Pressed
- 1/2 Tsp Dried Thyme or Basil
- 3/4 Cup Arborio Rice
- 2 Tbsp Wine (any kind will work)
- 1 Cup Vegetable Broth
- 1 Cup Dairy Free Milk (I use Cashew Milk)
- 1/8 Cup Nutritional Yeast
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a pot fry the diced onion in olive oil until it is clear.
- Add pressed garlic and mushrooms and cook on med/low until the mushrooms have softened.
- Add Arborio rice and fry on low until the rice is evenly coated in oil, then add wine and stir.
- Once the wine has mostly evaporated add the veggie broth, dairy free milk, and nutritional yeast, and herbs.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer on low for 22 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, serve and garnish with vegan parmesan.