On those mornings when I am not in the mood to battle picky children, my go to breakfast is always Chocolate Oatmeal! Yes it’s a sneaky Mom hack, but it works! The kids are always bouncing in their seats as I prepare this dish truly thinking they are getting a treat rather than a decent breakfast.
Now don’t get me wrong, this isn’t an every day breakfast in our house as it does have a reasonable amount of maple syrup, but I do feel good about the nutrient rich Cacao Powder and the benefits of Oats so all in all it isn’t too bad 😉
Not only just a favourite with the kids, adults love it too! Try garnishing with dates and sea salt flakes for a salted caramel version!
Dark Chocolate Oatmeal
Gluten Free Vegan Serves 6 Cook Time 7-10 Minutes
- 2 Cups Rolled Oats (I used Gluten Free)
- 4 Cups Water
- 1/4 Cup Maple Syrup
- 1/3 Cup Cacao Powder
- 1/8 Tsp Sea Salt
- Combine Oats and Water in a large pot, bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium / low
- Add Cacao powder, maple syrup, and sea salt, stir well until cacao powder dissolves
- Cook for 7 – 10 minutes, until water is absorbed by oats and desired consistency is reached
- Garnish with fruit, seeds, nuts, cocoa nibs, coconut, dates, or sea salt.
Free Plant-Based Beginners Tip Guide!
Subscribe to get our FREE Plant-Based Beginners Tip Guide full of great tips and tricks to help you create a healthier lifestyle!