I have a confession to make, I’m a major sweets junkie! One of the biggest challenges for me when I decided to make the change to a Plant-based lifestyle was letting go of milk chocolate and creamy desserts. I felt like a fish out of water as the majority of my staple baking ingredients like milk, butter, and eggs I could no longer use. I resigned myself to the fact that my creative baking days were over and that I would live a life where the only dessert I could enjoy was dark chocolate.
How wrong I was! After a few months I decided to start researching more into what alternatives I could use in place of the ingredients I made the choice to exclude from my diet. I was delighted to find that not only did I have a great Plant-based alternative for every ingredient I needed but that they were actually more cost effective and delicious!
So off I went to re-learn how to bake. What started out as feelings of confusion turned into a great and very fun adventure into recipe creation! Since my family and I made the change I have been busy creating and experimenting with original recipes that would be tasty and that the kids would love!
Gone are the days of worrying about salmonella poisoning from cookie dough, my kids are as grateful as I am for that! The down side is we tend to indulge on the cookie dough a little too much making for less cookies; which isn’t really a problem as I prefer the dough!
After mastering cookies and cakes I decided to try my hand a macaroons as from time to time we have guests in our house who are on a Gluten Free diet. I spent months trying to figure out the correct combo to make a delicious macaroon worthy of swooning. The kids weren’t much help in the process because even the failed macaroons still taste pretty good. The goal was to create a great tasting macaroon with a nice texture that would hold its shape.
Finally I got the combo right for a basic macaroon and thought I could take it one step further with some creative flavour combos. That was when I happily by accident made my first Black Forest Cake Macaroon! How I had missed a good slice of Black Forest Cake and this macaroon took me back to the birthday cakes my Oma would bake for my Mother every year when I was young.
I am so very excited to share this recipe with you today! One of my favourites and one I am quite proud of that I’m sure you and your family will enjoy. The best part is they are super easy to make, minimal mess, and a quick treat to whip up for last minute guests. Enjoy!
Black Forest Cake Macaroons
Prep Time: 20 mins Makes: 14, in a baby muffin tin.
Vegan, Gluten Free
- 1 1/2 Cup of Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
- 1 Cup of Ground Almonds
- 1/4 Cup of Cocoa or Cacao Powder
- 1/4 Tsp of Himalayan Pink Salt or Sea Salt
- 1/3 Cup of Pure Maple Syrup
- 2 1/2 Tbsp of Melted Coconut Oil
- 1/2 Tbsp of Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 Cup of Dairy Free Chocolate Chips
- 1/4 Cup of Dried Tart Cherries
- Add Unsweetened Shredded Coconut, Ground Almonds, Cocoa Powder, and Salt to a Food Processor. Process until combined evenly.
- Add Maple Syrup, Vanilla, and Coconut Oil to Dry Mixture. Process until combined and a ball has formed.
- Add Chocolate Chips and Sour Cherries to the Food Processor. Combined everything evenly.
- Line a baby muffin tin with plastic wrap, spoon enough mixture into each form until full and press down evenly making sure the top is smooth.
- Cover the pressed macaroons with the remaining plastic wrap and place muffin pan into the refrigerator for 20-30 mins until the macaroons have set. 5-10 minutes in the freezer if you’re in a rush.
- Unwrap and enjoy!
These macaroons will stay quite fresh for up to a week if sealed in a container in the fridge. They can be left at room temperature but be aware if you are in a warmer climate that they could lose their shape or melt if it’s too warm.
I hope you enjoy my Black Forest Cake Macaroon recipe! Please feel free to ask any questions in the comments and I will happily answer them. Let me know how they turned out for you!
Warmest Regards Holly
Free Plant-Based Beginners Tip Guide!
Subscribe to get our FREE Plant-Based Beginners Tip Guide full of great tips and tricks to help you create a healthier lifestyle!