I got inspired this morning as I attempted to be as lazy as possible and stay in bed watching TV. Giada had this awesome recipe for Salami, Bacon, and Spinach Hash and because I can never leave well enough alone and I didn’t have some ingredients, of course I modified it. These measurements are a guesstimate as I just added what amount looked right. It was delicious!
- 3 slices thick cut smoked bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium russet potatoes, unpeeled and cubed
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 /4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 3 slices Genoa salami stacked on top of each other and cut into chunks
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 small Roma tomato, diced
- 2 large, organic eggs
- chopped fresh parsley
- Cook the bacon in a stainless steel skillet over medium heat. Stirring occasionally to brown evenly and crisp. About 5 minutes. Remove bacon to paper towel and reserve.
- In the bacon fat, cook the potatoes sprinkled with salt and pepper. Stir often until crisp, about 10 minutes. Remove and add to paper towel.
- Add oil, onion, green pepper, salt, and pepper to pan. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add cabbage, salami, tomato, nutmeg, salt and pepper and cook through about 4 minutes.
- Add the bacon and potatoes back in and stir well. Make 2 openings in the mixture and crack an egg into each opening. Cook until the eggs are set but yolks are still runny. My eggs took about 7 minutes.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve. Yum!